CARES and CRRSAA Act Info
CRRSAA ACT EMERGENCY FUNDING
The federal Coronavirus Response and Relief Supplemental Appropriations Act (CRRSAA) provides emergency funding to help students cover some expenses related to the disruption of campus operations due to the coronavirus. Funds can be used toward the cost of attendance, food, housing, course materials, technology, health care, child care or similar expenses directly associated with the COVID-19 pandemic.
Grants are based on a student’s eligibility for Pell Grants and information provided on their FAFSA. Pre-qualified students have been contacted directly at their siu.edu email addresses with a link to a form they must submit certifying that they have incurred expenses meeting CRRSAA act requirements. The deadline for submitting the form was extended until August 1.
Please read the following additional information regarding the CRRSAA act funding carefully.
- Receiving CRRSAA funds will not affect financial aid.
- Once approved, funding will be directly deposited into your bank account, unless you elect to deposit it to your bursar account. If you have not set up direct deposit with SIU, you can do so now through SalukiNet.
- If funding is approved, it will be released within one week of your submission. We will notify you only if your request IS NOT approved.
June 30, 2021
The following public information is provided in compliance with Public Law 116-260 of the Coronavirus Response and Relief Supplemental Appropriations Act.
- Southern Illinois University Carbondale signed and returned an updated agreement on February 01, 2021, with the Department of Education providing additional emergency funds where no less than 50% of the funds received to provide Emergency Financial Aid Grants to students.
- The total amount of funds that SIU Carbondale received for Emergency Financial Aid Grants to students is $4,433,318.
- The total amount of the Emergency Financial Aid Grants distributed to students under Public Law 116-260 of the CRRSAA Act is $4,171,500 as of June 30, 2021.
- A total of 4,649 students have received an Emergency Financial Aid grant as of June 30, 2021.
- SIU Carbondale determined which students were eligible to receive Emergency Financial Aid Grants funding based on information provided on the FAFSA. The allocation of funding was based on eligibility for Pell grants and the expected family contribution to the cost of attendance. Depending on individual circumstances, eligible students were offered grants with a minimum of $500 and a maximum award of $3,000.
- Eligible students received email notification on February 5, 2021, requesting them to submit a short form requesting emergency funding to be used towards the cost of attendance, food, housing, course materials, technology, health care, child care or similar expenses associated with the COVID-19 pandemic. Students also received follow-up emails, text messages and phone calls. For the second round, students were contacted by telephone, email and text messages.
Previous CRRSAA reports:
Previous CARES Act reports: