Complaint Process

SIU Complaint Process

Southern Illinois University Carbondale (SIUC) is committed to respecting all members of the University community and providing a quality educational experience for all students. Further, federal regulations require institutions of higher education to disclose information for filing complaints. The information below is intended to provide both institutional and external contact information to current and prospective students.

Academic Process

Academic units are responsible for addressing student concerns and complaints related to classes (e.g. syllabi, grades, classroom environment). The first step is to meet with the instructor of the course to see if a resolution can be made. If not, students should contact the department chair or school director to seek advice and resolution. The next level should be the college dean. The Student Conduct Code, the undergraduate catalog, and the graduate catalog provide guidance on policy.


External Resources

If a student's complaint cannot be resolved by the university, a complaint may be filed with the Illinois Board of Higher Education, which regulates higher education institutions in Illinois, through their Complaint System; or the student may contact the Higher Learning Commission (HLC), SIUC's regional accrediting agency, through their Complaint Process. For Federal Loan Disputes, contact the Federal Student Aid Ombudsman Group.

Extended Campus Complaint Resolution

Students enrolled in online or off-campus courses are encouraged to contact their respective department or school to seek advice. Students may also contact SIU Extended Campus at, 618-453-3430 or file a complaint online.

Since Southern Illinois University Carbondale has been approved as an institutional participant in the State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement (SARA) initiative by the National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements (NC-SARA), students enrolled from participating SARA states, as indicated by the State Authorization webpage, follow the SARA Complaint Process. Such students may contact the Illinois Board of Higher Education (the Illinois SARA portal agency) with complaints that were not resolved through the student campus complaint procedures described above by accessing the IBHE online complaint system.

California is the only state outside of SARA where SIUC students are enrolled. If complaints are not resolved through the campus complaint procedure described above, students should file a complaint with the California Department of Consumer Affairs.

Other Complaints

There are numerous resources on campus to assist with the concerns or complaints.

  • Student Ombudsperson  provides students confidential consultation in assisting with the possible resolution of university related concerns, grievances and appeals. The student ombudsperson is a resource for students in navigating the university while seeking resolution to individual student concerns. The ombudsperson may serve as a counselor, go-between, mediator, or informal fact finder. Some of the matters that may be addressed by this service include grade dispute/grievance procedures, student record errors, billing/financial issues, and registration problems.
  • Confidential Advising Service provides survivor-centered assistance to students that have experienced sexual assault, dating violence, domestic violence, or stalking.
  • Student Legal Assistance can advise students about their specific legal issues, enabling them to overcome legal obstacles that might otherwise impede their educational progress.
  • Student Rights and Responsibilities addresses allegation of student misconduct. The office assists with the administration of the Student Conduct Code, provides interventions in response to allegations of misconduct, and educates students regarding their rights and responsibilities as members of the University community.
  • The Office of Equity and Compliance is responsible for training, investigations, and compliance with federal and state laws related to sexual violence, Title IX and discrimination. The policies on discrimination (including sexual harassment) complaint and investigation procedures are posted on the SIU Policy website.
  • The Parking Division has an on-line form for appealing parking citations.
  • Research misconduct policy provides the general procedures and proceeding for allegation of research-related academic misconduct.
  • The Associate Chancellor for Institutional Diversity is the designated coordinator and supervisor for the Americans with Disabilities Act. The SIUC policy for filing an ADA complaint is available.
  • Students who have complaints about financial aid or their bursar account should contact these office directly.
  • The SIUC Police serve the campus and support surrounding communities. Emergency safety and security concerns should be reported by calling 911. Non-emergency calls should be reported to 618-453-3771. Complaints against an SIU Police office, Saluki Patrol officer or other Department of Public Safety personnel can be filed anonymously through an on-line survey, through calling a supervisor (618-453-3771) or filing a complaint form.