CARES Act Report
May 7, 2020
The following public information is provided in compliance with Section 18004(e) of the CARES Act:
- Southern Illinois University Carbondale signed and returned to the Department of Education the Certification and Agreement on April 10, 2020. SIU Carbondale has used or will use no less than 50 percent of the funds received under Section 18004(a)(1) of the CARES Act to provide Emergency Financial Aid Grants to students.
- The total amount of funds that SIU Carbondale received for Emergency Financial Aid Grants to students is $4,433,318.
- The total amount of the Emergency Financial Aid Grants distributed to students under section 18004(a)(1) of the CARES Act is $2,261,477 as of May 8, 2020.
- The estimated total number of students at SIU Carbondale eligible to participate in programs under Section 484 in Title IV of the Higher Education Act of 1965 and thus eligible to receive Emergency Financial Aid Grants is 5,933.
- A total of 2,577 students have received an Emergency Financial Aid grant as of May 8, 2020.
- SIU Carbondale determined which students were eligible to receive Emergency Financial Aid Grants funding based on information provided on the FAFSA. The allocation of funding was based on eligibility for Pell grants and the expected family contribution to the cost of attendance. Depending on individual circumstances, eligible students were offered grants of $1,000, $725, or up to $500.
- Eligible students received email notification on May 1, 2020, requesting them to submit a short form requesting emergency funding to be used towards the cost of attendance, food, housing, course materials, technology, health care, child care or similar expenses associated with the COVID-19 pandemic. More information may be accessed here: shc.siu.edu/coronavirus/cares-act.php.